Friday 18 March 2016

Research Portfolio - Resubmission

Research Portfolio


1.) Real World Influences:

As the short film that I wish to make is a horror, I had great influence for my idea from two films that are different to each other, these films are Goodfellas (1990) which follows the more thriller genre, I have also used this film as an influence to my idea because of the nature of the film, it is dark, the audience are constantly on edge, meeting the conventions for the thriller genre. The second film is called Burrried, a horror film made in 2014, just the idea of burying gave the idea of confining the two films together to creating a tense horror film, using a hook at the start when the character is getting buried, this will hook the audience by grabbing there attention in the opening seconds, making them think closly at the characters intentions.


2.) Box office reviews/influences:

The film goodfellas had a specific scene which I gained my idea from, which is a scene when they burry a dead body in the woods.

I also gained my idea through the film burried, the general idea of burried gaive me the idea of the thriller and horror being combined.





The BBFC (British board of film classification) will be able to access my film on YouTube, this means that they will be able to rate the film, whether it be a U,PG,12,12A,15 or 18. I believe my film should be rated a 15 certificate, this is because of the small amount of violence used and the horror involved. The BBFC will decided whether the film will have the power to ban the film from cinema release. The BBFC are also a non governmental organisation, they rate films on the basis of what is involved within the film, such as violence, language and sexual content


































A news report I found showing that organised crime has risen and is helping gang leaders. 








































































I also gained influences and ideas by from the book 'The Darkness Comes' by Dean Kuntz, this book gave me ideas for my film, as it is horror related.







3.) The Budget:
To start, I will have to have a budget for the short film, the budget will consist of money that will go towards: Camera equipment, this will include the type of camera that will be used for the production, other costs will involve a tripod, the editing time which will be done in an editing sweet and also transport, by going from each location using public transport, however, as we are at college, we do not have to spend any money on equipment needed as it is provided for us, this is also the same with the editing time, as there is an editing room, public transport costs may be needed, as I will have to travel to the location where a scene is set. The budget will include the cost of any location, I will also include the cost of lunch and the transport costs, however on buses, we travel free, but not for trains.

Funding for locations, equipment and facilities:



Locations:
The location fees to go and take still photos and video footage in the media industry will cost £1800.  
However with locations, you would have an extremely limited amount of time, this is because you are on a tight schedule and working to a deadline and the money to the camera crew will go to waste because there would not have been enough shots taken, this would result in being sacked by the director. For my short film, I will be using a street, church and woods, the scene will be short as it is one minute long. During my film, I will need the woods, the street and an ally for my locations, meaning that I will have to think about the extra people in the background of the film as I am shooting.



Availability of Equipment: As we are in college we can easily book the equipment for free, whereas if we where doing this in the media industry, there would be prices for equipment.

Facilities: The facilities that will be used for production and post production. For the production, it is the set up that will be needed for the facilities, such as setting up the cameras ready for use, This also includes the lighting, Fr instance, this means that the lighting needs to be balanced for the audience to be able to watch it clearly. 

To tell the story of my film in the correct way, I will need good enough actors to help portray the characters in the correct way so the audience can believe in the story and get hooked from the start. By keeping the story entertaining also means to keep the story short, as it is a short film, there should not be a backstory because the film is just a minute long.

Whilst doing my research, I looked in to short film festivals, there are many of these that go on at the moment, including the London film festival and the rain dance film festival, the film festivals help get the person who made the films name out there, by showing a film in a short film festival, it helps promote your idea and your name.




I looked at the influences from short film produced on youtube and I decided to use the influences and trends that I learned from them, I looked mainly at short horror films as this is the genre that I want to make my film.

I looked at the short horror film 'Lights Out'















I also looked at the short film 'The Smiling Man'



I also looked at the short 'Light Out'

Beginning of Mood Board:                                                             



Woods, first scene, man digging hole and burying body in the hole.



    


Street



House


End.















No comments:

Post a Comment