Wednesday 16 November 2016

Assessment 3B and 3C iii - Green screen effects.

How to Guide: Using Chroma key:

For the task 3B, my job was to create test footage using Chroma Key effects, also known as green screen effects within a 10 second clip of myself performing my chosen song from my unsigned artist that I had picked, I had to perform the 10 seconds in front of the green screen to be able to use its effects. The name of the song was called 'Raw' by the unsigned artist, HDot.

I first, was filmed in front of the green screen, performing and lip synching the beginning lyrics of the song, we had to set up the position I would be placed in, meaning setting the camera up on the tripod ready for use, also the lights facing myself and the green screen needed to be moved in certain areas, there is a very important reason as to why we must make sure the set is lit correctly, this is because if not, there will be shadows behind the subject, making the footage not look to a high or a near professional standard. We also had to prep by placing the microphone on the camera and turning it on, we also had to film more than one shot, this is because it would give the short clip an interesting feel for the audience rather than it being the same boring shot continuing through the clip. In terms of the microphone, this was not turned on through the recording stage, meaning that the song being played from the phone in the background could not be heard and was not picked up, meaning that later on in the editing stage, I had to find the song on the artists YouTube channel and drag it through on to Final Cut Pro to match with the lip synching.

Moving on to editing, I cut the song that I got from YouTube to the 10 seconds of footage that was filmed, as there were two different camera shots used in the filming, I cut between the shots every so often, trying to cut to the beat, then, as the lyrics and lip synching came in around 5 or 6 seconds in, I was able to pick the mid shot of me facing the camera whilst lip synching. I wanted to pick this shot because it showed me face on to the audience, like I was engaging or interacting with them.
As the green screen was the effect I wanted to use, I dragged a Keyer, on top of the footage of me, then enabling me to go on to shutter stock, to choose the right background for the video, as the song is a Hip-Hop song, I wanted to pick a location that would suit the genre, as this would appeal to audiences. I chose a street, in fast forward, showing the day go past and the people walking past, the location benefited the song and footage that was used, it did this by giving it a better depth of field for the background
As already mentioned, this was a Hip-Hop song, meaning that I wanted to add effects in the editing stage, I chose to dim the lights and background of me slightly, giving it a darker more grimmey feel before adding in the effects, I used the transitions, allowing me to add flashing lights allowing the footage to look more natural and realistic for its genre.



Assessment 3C (iii):

Chroma Key is used in some music videos to replace the previous background, it must be done against a green screen in order to get the full effects from it, you can replace it with almost any background you want, however, many times, backgrounds are used that are seen in the music video as over the top, in the end, the music video will look fake and no longer hypereal, just completely ridiculous and the audience will lose interest.

Chroma Key has Positives and also negatives, by using chroma key, it enables you to use a different side to filming a music video, allowing the audience to feel as though they are there in that specific moment, creating a hypereal situation and environment. this can benefit there audience because it gives the artist a different feel to them, showing their creativity to the audience even though it was most likely to be the director to have though of the creative ideas.

The music video above is called ' Hooked on a feeling' by David Hasselhoff. This is an example of how not to use chroma key, as it has obviously been over used here, this is seen as the audience can clearly recognised that the character/performer is not in the locations in reality, this doesn't just give a non hyperreal situation, it also shows no imagination and laziness to the viewers, as there isn't much effort to be noticed here, in this video, they work to hard on trying to establish locations and situations that are difficult to get to or impossible, such as flying and lose sight on the main focus, who is the artist, the talent is the person who will sell the video and make money.


The song below shows an example of how to use chroma key effects wisely, as they look good and to a high professional standard in the music video.



This song has a good use of green screen because it shows the setting as in space, making the song look creative for the audience, also making them get drawn in further in to the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment